We're Hiring a Policy Analyst
The Minnesota Budget Project’s Policy Analyst produces analysis, identifies and advocates for policy solutions, and collaborates with state and national partners to advance public policies that expand opportunity and economic security to all Minnesotans, particularly Minnesotans with low incomes and Black, Indigenous, and people of color (BIPOC) Minnesotans. Current policy focus areas include affordable health care and child care, as well as responding to emerging state and federal issues.
The Policy Analyst’s portfolio of policy focus areas could adapt to include other areas that reflect their expertise and interests.
The Policy Analyst works in close collaboration with other members of the Minnesota Budget Project team, including the Project Director, and engages with state and national partners, to advance the organization’s analysis and policy change goals.
Why come work for us
The Minnesota Budget Project has a track record of successfully combining sound research and analysis with advocacy, engagement, and communications strategies to enact policy change, particularly in the areas of budget, tax, and economic policy. The Minnesota Budget Project is a program of the Minnesota Council of Nonprofits (MCN). Driven by its vision of a healthy, cooperative, and just society
, MCN is dedicated to enhancing and improving cultural humility, intentionally creating inclusive and accessible spaces, and working to end disparities in power, money, access, and resources within the nonprofit sector and in government decision-making at the local, state, and federal levels.
The Minnesota Budget Project is the Minnesota partner in the national State Priorities Partnership
(SPP), a network of more than 40 nonprofit research and advocacy organizations that fight for a just and equitable America. Through SPP, the Policy Analyst has access to trainings, peer-to-peer learning, and fellowship with colleagues across the country engaged in similar work, and access to national experts at the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities.
Apply as soon as possible for strongest consideration.
*More details on how to apply below
Functions and Tasks
Research and Analysis (45 percent)
Policy Advocacy and Partnerships (40 percent)
- Research and write data-driven analytic materials to influence and inform the policy debate and advance the mission of the project, including issue briefs, newsletter articles, fact sheets, and blog postings. Frequently apply a racial equity lens in the production of analytic products.
- Conduct policy and/or fiscal analysis of budget and policy proposals active in the policy debate, government budget information, administrative data, academic research, and public data sets.
- Identify potential new analytic and research projects that further the project’s policy agenda and mission.
- Stay current on literature and trends related to the Policy Analyst’s issue areas of focus.
- Share research findings with policymakers, partners, and the public through presentations and media interviews.
- Influence and inform the policy debate through advocacy and policymaker education activities.
Other (15 percent)
- Represent the Minnesota Budget Project before constituency groups, policymakers, and the media through testimony, media interviews, presentations, and other means.
- Build and strengthen relationships, including by participating in coalitions, to support success in this role and advance the project’s policy agenda and goals. Provide technical assistance and be a resource to coalition members and other partners.
- Identify policy options and advocacy strategies, in collaboration with the project’s director, to inform and advance the project’s policy agenda.
- Stay current on the policy debate related to the Policy Analyst’s issue areas of focus, including by monitoring relevant state legislative activity.
- Contribute to funder communications related to the Policy Analyst’s areas of focus, including grant proposals and funder reports.
- Contribute to the project’s annual workplan and policy agenda development processes.
- Help create an inclusive and welcoming environment for all individuals in regards to diversity, which may include geography, race, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, immigration status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender, age, ability, and religion.
- Options to participate in internal working groups including those related to equity and inclusion, internal culture, and working environment at MCN.
- Perform other job duties as assigned.
Education, Experience, and Skills
Persons with success in this role have a combination of the following strengths and qualifications, some of which they may develop during their tenure in the position:
- BA or BS or equivalent experience, plus three years of experience, in public policy, public finance, public health, economics, or other related fields.
- Competency with research methods and statistics. Data analysis skills, including proficiency with Excel.
- Experience conducting policy and/or fiscal analysis, familiarity with state or federal government budgets.
- Strong writing and presenting skills, including the ability to articulate a policy argument and clearly communicate complex information to a variety of audiences.
- Experience collaborating with policymakers, advocates, community members, and/or other constituencies to develop policy options and advocacy strategies to advance public policy goals.
- Experience with legislative and/or budget processes at the state or federal level.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically.
- Working knowledge of word processing software.
- An understanding of how policy issues intersect with racism and economic and social inequality, and experience applying a racial equity lens to policy work.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team.
Preferred Education, Experience, and Skills
- Understanding of health care, child care, and/or other issues affecting low- and moderate-income people and communities of color.
- Familiarity with relevant policy, advocacy, and organizing organizations and government agencies.
- Skills in data visualization.
Reports to: Minnesota Budget Project Director
Classification: Regular, Full-time (40 hours per week), Exempt.
Position Salary Range: Starting salary range $55,000 - $61,000 per year plus benefits, which include health and dental insurance, retirement plan (including employer match), Section 125 (flex) plan, long-term disability, life insurance, sick leave, three weeks of vacation plus 48 hours of personal business/summer hours, 12 holidays, paid parenting leave. MCN employees may be eligible for Public Service Loan Forgiveness.
How to Apply
Apply as soon as possible for strongest consideration.
To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter using this link
. We encourage that the cover letter specifically address your interest in the position and any experience you have:
- Conducting research on policy issues related to policy change;
- Analyzing budget information, explaining budget information or trends, or using budget analysis to inform the policy debate;
- Advocating for policy change;
- Building relationships or collaborations with people or organizations rooted in low-income or BIPOC communities.
The interview process will consist of two rounds of interviews. Candidates invited for a first round of interviews will also be asked to submit a writing sample. Candidates who advance to the second round of interviews will also complete a short excel skills assessment.
The Minnesota Council of Nonprofits is recognized as an Employer of National Service with the Corporation for National and Community Service. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply.
We are committed to recruiting and engaging individuals without regard to race, color, religion, creed, age, gender, sex, national origin, ancestry, marital status, pregnancy, familial status, ability, veteran status, membership or non-membership in a labor organization, sexual orientation, size, status with regard to public assistance, or genetic information. We are committed to the principle of equity and are particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of individuals. MCN is committed to providing access, equal opportunity, and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and activities.
Working Conditions/Physical Demands
- Frequent participation in repetitive motion activities including typing on a computer keyboard.
- Requires the ability to work for several hours at a time at a desk and computer monitor.
- Frequent travel to the Minnesota State Capitol and occasionally to other locations in the Twin Cities metro area.
- Requires occasional state and national travel, including overnight and multi-day travel, primarily for conferences and training opportunities.
- Requires occasional extended work hours, particularly during the legislative session.
- Requires registering as a lobbyist with the Minnesota Campaign Finance Board.
- This position is based out of the Minnesota Council of Nonprofits’ St. Paul office, and is eligible for consideration for a hybrid work arrangement.
- MCN employees must primarily reside in the state of Minnesota.
July 28, 2022
Currently abortions are legal and protected in Minnesota under the state’s constitution. But many people across the country, including in our neighboring states, cannot access their full reproductive and health care rights or may have to travel and undergo significant costs and strains to do so.
July 26, 2022
For strongest consideration, apply by August 19; applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
July 14, 2022
The state of Minnesota’s revenue picture for FY 2022 remains solid, but the national economic recovery is expected to be...
June 07, 2022
Minnesota legislators took important steps toward shoring up our state’s mental health system by allocating $93 million over three years aimed at increasing the number of providers, supporting mental health crisis services, and reducing racial disparities in mental health services.